Thursday, October 31, 2013

Cymbalta Withdrawal Continues

September 23, 2013 Dennis began another 8% reduction of Cymbalta.  He has now begun taking 66 pellets out of one 60mg capsule.The other 60mg capsule remains the same.  This means that he is currently taking 100mg a day.

The first three days he has been fine.  But at each reduction the fourth day “Something changes in my mind”, is what he says.

By October 4, after two weeks his anger is reducing but he just feels depressed because he has been so  horribly mad. Sometimes at himself and sometimes at me.   Neither of us can imagine living like this for months, without an let up.  

finds the numbness terrifying as well, because it makes no sense. He thought that it might be a precursor to some other serious illness, but was happy to hear that others have similar symptoms.  Some days he just fears that he is crazy and he will never be any better.  Others he is optimistic that he is improving.

What I find almost unbearable is his anger, especially during the first two weeks of reduction of Cymbalta.  He is just plain mean and I am forced to “bite my tongue” and not respond.  Ultimately, of course, of reply in anger, to something he does, and  he becomes furious.  He has told me that he feels like I am trying to purposefully be mean. There is no talking him “down”.  I just have to hold on until his “storm” passes in a day or two.  By that time I just feel like I can’t take his meanness anymore.  This is so hard.

Right now Dennis is sobbing because he is acting so mean.  I suggested that he try to remember I am not the enemy when he is feeling so horrible, but he said, “It just doesn’t do any good”.  In other words he cannot think.  He is again thinking of suicide.

No comments:

Post a Comment